by Rachel Vreeman on January 19, 2013
- I have never once regretted packing too much underwear. Or a bathing suit.
- A good scarf can serve you a hundred different ways. Accessory to dress up or down. Adapt to cooler or warmer weather. Your blanket in airports. Skirt or sexy top or head covering.
- Comfortable shoes. Because you never know when you’ll be sprinting across the airport or walking two miles to see something awe-inspiring.
- A doctor’s on-call mantra? Sleep when you can. Same for the airplane. What’s packed in my sleep kit? Eye mask, earplugs, hair tie, neck pillow, ambien.
- Chapstick. Hand lotion. Sunscreen. Because I am my red-headed mother’s fair and dry-skinned daughter, and we’re not happy unless our lips and hands are slimy.
- Ziplock bags. They take up zero space and can rescue you from many disasters (eg, spilled liquids, peeing babies, blood-contamination… I could give you a story for each of these.)
- Passport and credit card. Do you need anything else? Really?
- Bandaids. Because if you are gushing blood all over the first class cabin, the flight attendants will want to call a doctor. Even if you are one. And your seatmates will shun you if you attempt to use a sanitary pad to stop the flow of blood.